Thursday, September 3, 2009

This was a couple days ago when Elsa was still in the ICU.
She is now completely off breathing assistance.

This is Elsa now. It is really sad to see her so lethargic, but I will take what I can get from her and as long as she is breathing I am happy. 
It seems like Elsa has reverted to protecting herself by shutting down emotionally. I don't blame her for doing that because it would be so scary to go through something like this and have no capacity to understand what was going on. I figure that right now we need to focus on getting her health under control and when this is all over we can get her back to her old self. We have already done it once. We just need to show her love and security.

The doctors said that Elsa can most likely come back next weekend. (No days are for sure because it depends on how she responds to treatments.) My mom is planning on coming back this weekend to get things settled at the house. 

I decided not to go to school this semester so that I can be with Elsa and not have to worry about more than that. Life is complicated, but this decision was not. 
I'll post more when I know more. It will be harder to post everyday now that I am back home because I don't have internet at my apartment, but I will do the best I can.

much love and more to come



2 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting an update, Katherine. I was really worried when you hadn't spoken to us for a few days. You are very devoted to your family to make the decision to postpone school for now. Sometime soon, you will see how you have grown and matured through this situation! You will be an awesome nurse and mother someday!!
    Love, Lou Ann

    ReplyDelete
  2. Continue to pray for your strength and Elsa's recovery. Susan, ANYTHING I can do to help just let DeLyse know and I will be there. Katherine, what a WONDERFUL sister and daughter you are to be there for Mom & Elsa and to keep us all updated on Elsa's progress. God Bless all of you. Love Jan (DeLyse's Mom

    ReplyDelete